--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

JUST ONE PEPSI

If you’re not a fan of Suicidal Tendencies, this one may slide over your head. So if you don’t get anything in this post, might I suggest you check out the lyrics to what could arguably be considered the most famous hardcore punk song ever recorded. When I was 14, I was convinced “Institutionalized” was the coolest song ever. Twenty-three years later, I’m pretty sure that was the only thing I was right about during my teenage years.

With that out of the way, please consider the following picture:



That’s me on the left, and a man named Gene Muir is on the right. Gene’s son is Mike Muir, who was the lead singer for Suicidal Tendencies. About 20 years ago, Mike got very bent out of shape over a Pepsi. He wanted one, and his mom wouldn’t give it to him. I can understand his dismay; Pepsi is delicious!

But is it really all that tough to get a Pepsi from the Muirs? My simple experiment would seem to indicate that securing a Pepsi from them is actually quite easy. Of course, in the song, Mike was asking his mother for a Pepsi. Would it have been so hard to ask his dad?

With the benefit of hindsight, perhaps we should be glad that Mike didn’t go to his dad, otherwise the punk canon would be missing a classic. But for the rest of you, you’re best advised to ask both parents for a Pepsi. You’ll save yourself a great deal of aggravation.

9 Comments:

At 1:22 pm, Blogger Workman said...

We attended the same Mormon ward in Santa Monica when I lived there. As a matter of fact, this picture was snapped in the back of the chapel.

("I went to your schools, your churches...")

He is the ward clerk in the Santa Monica 1st ward.

Another piece of fun trivia, another of his sons was one of the original "Z-Boys" as seen in the documentary.

Gene is perhaps the nicest guy in the world, and he's got a sly sense of humor. It's funny to me now when I hear those "ST" songs where he's portrayed as mean. Doesn't sound like the guy I know.

 
At 2:13 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And of course, there's the "lounge" cover version of Institutionalized that came out years ago.

 
At 3:25 pm, Blogger thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

I'm just surprised she didn't tell him to go ask his father. I thought parenting was all about deflecting.

 
At 12:31 am, Blogger Rayhan said...

dude you are hilarious. just thought you should know.

 
At 6:21 am, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 6:21 am, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 6:23 am, Blogger Unknown said...

Maybe they were a Coke family at the time. However, my Mormon mother would not have let me have either can of caffeinated sin!!

 
At 6:24 am, Blogger Unknown said...

Maybe they were a Coke family at the time. However, my Mormon mother would not have let me have either can of caffeinated sin!!

 
At 8:55 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

classic :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner