--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

SIZZLIN' STEVE GETS A JOB

A few weeks back, I introduced readers to Sizzlin' Steve, a character I invented for a radio show in Utah some 15 years ago. Steve was basically the personification of all I hated about 90s Top 40 radio. He spoke in an annoying monster truck announcer voice and rhymed words when it wasn't really appropriate.

Since then, some readers said they'd be interested in heading some old Sizzlin' Steve clips, and a friend even emailed me some stuff he taped off the radio all those years ago. Alas, I don't have the technical savvy to post mp3s to the Internet, so that will have to wait.

But that post did lead to an actual offer of work for Mr. Sizzlin'. I have a friend who runs a website that sells drum loops and the like. It's pretty cool stuff. He was in the process of producing a "best of" disc of loops, and needed a voice for the promo. Enter Sizzlin' Steve. My friend said he wanted to hire him for a voice session. After a few experiments, the voice we wound up with wasn't pure Sizzlin' Steve. This guy wasn't quite as obnoxious, but a little more cheesy. This is more Sizzlin' Steve trying to go legit by imitating that Movie Trailer Guy.

So for those of you who were curious for a little taste of The Siz, I offer you this. It's not pure Steve, but in it you can hear echoes of a pretend person many thought was dead in 1993.

(My personal dream is to translate the script into Spanish and re-record it with lots of reverb.)

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 10:47 am, Blogger Ellen said...

the sizzlin' steve i remember was a bit more... growly... for lack of a better word. but i can hear hints of him here. funny stuff. the beats are pretty cool too.

 
At 11:11 am, Blogger Workman said...

Indeed, Sizzlin' was a bit more "Monster Truck" in his delivery. If I ever figure out how to post audio files, I'll share an example.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner