--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

SIZZLIN' STEVE RETURNS

Oh, what a tangled web.

So there's this really really famous blog written by an ex-girlfriend of mine, and this woman in Salt Lake City is an avid reader. Eventually, the woman in SLC begins reading another blog written by the famous blogger's husband. I have been known to leave a comment or two on that site, so the woman in SLC begins visiting my site on a regular basis. She leaves some comments here, and eventually I check out her site.

After a while, I realize that she knows a reporter from Portland who I had bumped into while covering various regional stories. So we trade a few emails back and forth to see if we have any other common friends or acquaintances. Turns out we had about a dozen or so.

But then came the real shocker. This woman didn't know me so much as Matthew Workman, but as my evil radio Alter Ego Sizzlin' Steve Sargent. I invented Sizzlin' Steve with the help of this guy. Sizzlin' Steve was the sum total of all that was awful about Top 40 radio in the 1990s. Our specific target was a station called Hot 94.9, which was pretty awful. Looks like they're still pretty awful now.

Steve was invented to liven the tempo of a radio talk show that Sean was hosting. Sometimes the pace would get a little slow, or nobody would call, and things would drag... that's where Sizzlin' Steve would come in.

Steve would call in from teen hot spots in and around Provo, Utah. Just like the lame Top 40 DJs of the day, Steve would speak in a loud annoying voice, end his sentences with stupid rhymes, and get very excited about the possibility of someone winning Boyz II Men concert tickets.

Of course, it was all fake. I was calling from the next room, and a few friends would yell and scream to imitate crowds. It was pretty fun, and effectively served the purpose of filling up some dead time.

As the talk show grew in popularity, there were more callers and fewer dull moments, but Sizzlin' Steve survived. We started a feature called "Pantry Raid." At the start of the show, a listener would win a prize. Sizzlin' Steve (and his trusty pal Dan Dorfler... Sizzlin' Steve didn't have a car in college) would then be dispatched to the winner's home to deliver the prize, do a live remote, and steal something from the winner's pantry. By the end of the show, Steve, Dan, the the show's host would be dining in the studio on the stolen food. It was all good fun.

Then one day, we got the call we were all hoping for. Someone living in Helaman Halls won a prize. Not just someone... a woman. Helaman Halls was (and still is, as far as I know) a dorm complex on the campus of a school I never quite graduated from. As you might expect from a Mormon school, there were pretty strict rules about men being in the women's dorms, especially late at night. But our naughty little listeners smuggled us into their dorm room, and at 11:34 PM, we did a historic live remote from inside the women's dorms at BYU.

And during the course of my email exchanges with that woman in SLC last month, I discovered that it was HER dorm room I snuck into some 14 years ago. She even took a picture of the blessed event. It's obviously a photo of a photo, so the image quality isn't the best, but you can clearly see a clock radio, $5 prize coupons for Tommy's Burgers, a ska concert poster, and my bangs (which could probably make the list for Most Awful Things of the 1990s).

Moments after this photo was taken, there was a knock on the door, and I had to scurry under the bed for fear of being caught. Good times.

Before this photo arrived in my inbox, I probably hadn't thought of Sizzlin' Steve in 8 years. But now that he's back, the old instincts have returned. I'm overwhelmed by the urge to speak loudly in public and compose sentences that include phrases like, "The home of hot rockin' hits, on your 24 hour tower of power!" But most importantly, I feel the need to accost random teens and give them free Color me Badd t-shirts.

That's natural, right?

2/14/07 SIZZLIN' UPDATE: A friend sent me some audio files of Sizzlin' Steve on the radio. 14 years later, I'm really struck by how annoying that character was. I know he's supposed to be annoying, but still...

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At 8:45 am, Blogger thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

So is this like the Six Degrees of Sizzlin' Steve?

 
At 9:02 am, Blogger Workman said...

Damn! That's a much better title for this post. NOW you tell me.

 
At 9:08 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a tangled web. Though I think I'd like to have that ska poster now. Swim Herschel Swim and Skankin' Pickle!

And many of us never quite graduated from that august institution. And frankly, I'm pretty OK with that.

 
At 10:46 am, Blogger Ellen said...

There are so many great things about this photo. But one of my favorite details is the flyer on the bulletin board beneath the SKA concert poster. It's from a guy named "Grant Solomon" who was running for B.Y.U. Student Body President. His campaign platform centered around the fact that he wore a skirt everyday on campus. In fact, his slogan was something like: "Would you vote for a guy in a skirt?". I'm not sure how he thought that would get him votes, but it did get him noticed on our very conservative campus. Needless to say, he didn't win the election. But to this day, I have that autographed flyer preserved for posterity in my college scrapbook. Right next to that priceless picture of "Sizzlin' Steve"!

 
At 12:40 pm, Blogger Workman said...

Do you know who wrote that copy and printed the flyers?

Me! (...and my friends)

That's right, we ran Grant as a prank, and Grant... being Grant... ran with it.

 
At 2:34 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grant Solomon- "BYUSA President Elect in Exile" if I remember correctly. How fondly I remember "Hello friend!" booming across the campus. Grant often called me Eric....I don't know why.

Geez Matt- I thought we were sworn to secrecy when we were the radio crowd.
I'm shocked you'd give it up so easily after only a few years.
I remain faithfully and tight lippedly "crowd member #3" and a wary visitor to the "House of Fun" on many occasions.
Marky Mark- fellow doladork

 
At 3:06 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a small world indeed. I, for one, think you owe it to your boys to bring Steve back at once only this time you can make audio records of your exploits and post them here so the world gets to join in...

 
At 3:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt,

I remember the thought we had of resurrecting tha sizzla as an eye in the sky traffic reporter back in the mid 90s. Traffic is much worse now in Southern California, and they have computers that monitor traffic for you now. Having eliminated the cost of a helicopter, I think you can do it from a desk in Oregon. I know KCRW traffic reports come from a desk in Santa Monica, where the traffic is described in terms of colored dots on a screen as opposed to actual cars.

 
At 10:38 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

matt-
great work- here's the address for my brother in Australia. Enjoy:)
herretorden.livejournal.com
(no www in front) Ronni

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner