--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

I’M PRETTY SURE I’M PARTICIPATING IN THE BLOG VERSION OF A CHAIN LETTER

So there’s this internet meme thing going on and I'd be lying if I said I knew exactly what it's suposed to mean. All I know is that people tag other people and you learn about new blogs and the people who write them and so-on. My friend Pat did it, and then “tagged” me. He was tagged by blog-goddess dooce, whom I made out with occasionally during the Clinton administration. She never made out with Pat… but she tagged him anyway. Oh well, she probably doesn’t know I have a blog anyway. Nobody knows, except a handful of journalists in Shreveport, my mother, and the odd collection agency operative.

So here it goes, with all apologies to people who are too cool for this (I thought I was one such person, but it seems I’m not.)

Four Jobs I’ve had
1. Fish Monger
2. Personal assistant
3. Movie extra (not a very good film, if you saw it, I'm sorry)
4. Ski lift operator

Four Movies I Can Watch Over and Over
1. Raising Arizona
2. Lost in Translation
3. Barcelona
4. All The President’s Men

Four Places I’ve Lived
1. Rochester, NY
2. Santa Monica, CA
3. Rexburg, ID
4. Texarkana, AR (there’s one in Texas, too, but I didn’t live there)

Four TV Shows I Love to Watch
1. The Daily Show/Colbert Report (best written comedy on TV)
2. Frontline
3. Arrested Development
4. British House of Commons on C-SPAN (If you’re a political nerd, this is perhaps the coolest thing on earth)

Four Places I’ve Been on Vacation
1. Singapore (didn't get caned)
2. Norway (didn't get any socialized medicine)
3. Venice (didn't get drunk--what with being Mormon and all)
4. Sam’s Mom’s House (got lots of good luvin')

Four of My Favorite Dishes
(it may surprise anyone who knows me that I eat as many as four dishes)
1. King Crab
2. Grilled Cheese
3. Danish Butter Cookies
4. Fried Cheese (you can save time and stuff them directly in your aorta)

Four Sites I Visit Daily
1. 3hive
2. The Economist
3. Rotowire (I’ve got a fantasy basketball team, and I’m almost not ashamed of it)
4. Blogs my friends run

Four Places I’d Rather Be Now
1. Skiing, perhaps in Utah
2. At a concert, perhaps the Coachella Festival
3. Tokyo. I’m assuming I’d rather be there because it looked cool on Lost In Translation and because I’m a fan of neon and big cities. But I’ve never actually been there, so I must admit this opinion is held in ignorance.
4. Santa Monica, which I have missed every day since I left.

Four People I’m Tagging
Now this is tricky, because I don’t really know four people who have blogs who haven’t already been tagged. Well there is Winter, who I don’t really know, but who has left some comments here and lives in Texarkana. I know Darrell visits here quite a bit, but if he has a blog, I guess he can consider himself tagged. Oh yeah, there is also my delightful gay Canadian friend John. He's got a blog... althought he never updates it. You're tagged, too, so there.

Enough of this nonsense, next time, I’ll post a very thoughtful essay on the nature of travel.

16 Comments:

At 1:59 am, Blogger Workman said...

Can you tell that I finally learned how to insert links into these posts?

 
At 12:31 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have a blog, and I'm not sure the world is ready for one by me.

-DR

 
At 12:56 pm, Blogger Darrell said...

Okay, so I'm having a slow day at work. I succumbed to the Worky-work pressure from Medford and created a blog. Come visit me. rebouche.blogspot.com

 
At 1:30 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's painful to see my name next to Texarkana.

 
At 9:07 am, Blogger Matt said...

Matt Workman - It's Matt Odom. Back from the House o' Fun Days. Now you have another friend with a blog.

Good to see you are well!

Matt
www.mattlandia.com

 
At 12:06 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt, where have you been published?

 
At 11:29 pm, Blogger Workman said...

I wrote a weekly column for the Daily Sundial, Cal State Northridge's student news paper, from 2002 to 2004. It's almost impossible to search their acrhives, though.
http://sundial.csun.edu

Before that, I wrote for grid magazine, a now-defunct music magazine based in Salt Lake City. Some of their stuff is archived online at:
http://www.grid-magazine.com/

I wrote for a now-defunct (seeng a pattern) newspaper called Student Review... Nothing online there.

Did a bit of freelance writing while in LA. And I think that's about the extent of my publishing history.

 
At 10:51 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have one of the best blogs I've ever read. You are a fantasic writer.

 
At 3:05 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do you know about a redheaded security guard?

 
At 3:33 pm, Blogger Workman said...

Nothing... I think...

 
At 1:01 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you sure? Let's say for the sake of arguement that you and a group of overachievers and slackers somehow brought together by a now defunct student paper were caught after hours playing Boggle in a university theater. What if, for the sake of arguement, you and your friends were caught by a security guard, maybe with red hair. Could you escape from said guard and would you reconoiter at a private residence to play a child's game, like spin the bottle?
Or am I mistaken?

 
At 6:44 pm, Blogger Workman said...

My attorney has informed me that I do not, in fact, have any knowledge of the abovementioned events.

Furthermore, he says I deny the evening may have involved kissing Benson Scholars.

I am informed that I deny being one of nine people, witty, or being in Provo.

I do enjoy a good chololite pudding, however.

 
At 7:29 pm, Blogger Workman said...

p.s. who are you? Are you the security guard?

 
At 1:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt, I only wish that I could claim to be that redheaded stranger. Unfortunately, I'm just another fan of your writing and your eventful life.
A point of clarification, if you don't mind: When the main group of offenders/trespassers left the pit at the request of said security official, did all of the group leave together, or was one member left behind due to his previous encounters with campus police? Say, maybe running a bike cop off the road?
The Matt Workman archives I've studied have been a little foggy.
The info before "the 'dola-dork years" was not well preserved.

 
At 4:54 pm, Blogger Workman said...

Well wouldn't you know it! It's ol' Marky Mark Nielson! What are you up to?

 
At 12:52 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've found me out! I could only spend so much time skulking in the shadows before you discovered my true identity. Your powers of deduction are truly mystifying.
Since the funky bunch broke up due to creative differences, I've really been a man without a clue---or country or whatever.
I'm in happy valley working down to the BYU.
It sounds like you're doing well. Congrats on the verility!
I'm on pins and needles waiting to find out what you name Romulus and Uncle Remus, Prince and The Artist Formerly Known as Prince, or Spartacus and Spartacus(No, I'm Spartacus)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner