--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

THE FINAL COUNTDOWN

(with a special shout-out to anyone who's actually a fan of the band Europe)

So we got the call today, and some questions were answered. We're on the surgery schedule for Thursday, July 2oth. That means, unless they make a sudden move for the exit, the twins will be born (via scheduled c-section) in just over a week.

When we got the news, my mind raced. The first thing I realized is that I've got only 3 more days to sleep in until I'm well into my 40s. Then there are all the thoughts about whether or not we're actually ready and have all the baby crap we need before a hospital will legally release our own children to us.

But here's what really gets me, the time they're scheduling this c-section for: 7:30... IN THE MORNING! What's worse, they say we have to be there TWO HOURS EARLY! Show up at 5:30? Oh, come on! While I know that babies can come at all hours of the morning, this is the SCHEDULED time. Why so early? Why not noon-ish? That would be great. I could not set the alarm, wake up whenever, go get a bagel, then head off to the hospital and have us some babies.

But no, that would be too easy, now wouldn't it? Instead, we have to haul our butts out of bed at some ungodly hour. I'm sure a lot of you are preparing to write in and say , "You know, you're going to be up at all sorts of ungodly hours with two newborns around the house." To that, I say, "I know." So why do they have to take my last precious day of sleep? Parenthood causes severe sleep deprivation, must we start the process that way?

I guess we'll find out. Stay tuned.

2 Comments:

At 3:24 pm, Blogger thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

If you're an hour or two late, do you think this is the sort of thing they won't do anyway?

I say sleep in. Show up at 11. And tell them you had a sleep emergency.

 
At 12:33 pm, Blogger Darrell said...

Does anybody else think we'll be seeing much less of Workman's Waste of Time after July 20?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner