--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, December 28, 2006

OREGON OUTLAW

So I'm in a hurry and I need some gas, so I pull into the gas station down the road. I hate going to this gas station, they are so slow, but I've got no other choice.

To back up just a moment, self service gas is illegal in Oregon because gasoline is a flammable material and you need special training to handle it. I don't know now those people in 48 other states (but not New Jersey) do it.

But getting back to my local filling station... I pull up, and the guy just sits in his shack and ignores me. After a minute, I get out of my car and wave my arms. No luck.

Finally, I realize that I am, indeed, perfectly capable of pumping my own gas. I get straight to business: swipe my credit card, pump my gas, flip off the station attendant, drive off. It was so liberating. I encourage my fellow Oregonians to try it some time.

But now that I am a blatant law breaker, I need to hide out for a while until the heat dies down. So we're off to Phoenix, AZ for a few days. Remember, it takes a village to get our babies on an airplane. Wish us luck.

6 Comments:

At 6:31 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously? Illegal? Hee hee! You're such a rebel! Have fun whilst you're away. I can see it now: "Twins on a Plaaaaaaaane"!

 
At 6:35 am, Blogger thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

They strongly enourage full-service in Massachusetts, too. But I don't believe self-service is illegal.

Have a great trip — bring us back some baby pictures!

 
At 6:35 am, Blogger thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

PS- Does that mean you have to tip every time you stop for gas?

 
At 4:20 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy new year to you and the family since it's 0020 here in the UK! I hope that in 2007 the adventure just gets better and better. Keep the gorgeous pictures coming. I can't get enough of those little surprised faces! :)

 
At 6:56 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thridworst beat me to it, but do you really have to tip each time?!

 
At 11:01 pm, Blogger Workman said...

No, you don't have to tip. But I tip out of guilt if it's really cold or snowy outside.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner