--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, January 12, 2007

HUG A HOODIE

Some time ago, British Conservative leader David Cameron made a comment about "hugging a hoodie."

As an American, I've not got the faintest notion what he's talking about, but I do know that he's been mocked across the UK for whatever it was he said. During Prime Minister's Questions several months ago, a man with a thick accent that seemed to split the difference between working-class northern and Scottish said, "We don't hug a hoodie, we deal with them!" The sentence and the accent together tickled me so much that I replayed it about 20 times on my TiVo.

While I can do a passable imitation of the MPs accent now, I still don't know if it is better to hug a hoodie or deal with him. So we did a little experiment. We got our own hoodies. First up was Nate. With his stubbly hair and cuts on his face, he very much looks like a soccer hooligan. But should he be hugged? More on that later.

But first, here's another hoodie, Will...Oh, despondent youth! What can be done to save you? Perhaps some type of anti-social legislation? We'll try the hug.The hug does seem to be producing results. So perhaps we should hug Nate as well. Alas, he has fallen asleep (appropriately cute photo not available). So I'll try to hug Hoodie Will again, with the hopes that it will reform him even more.Alas, Will is not taking to his hug therapy as much as we'd hoped. Furthermore, with my dark coat, unshaven face, and new short haircut, Julie says I look like more of a hoodie than Will. Oh well, I guess I won't vote Tory in the next election


(Assuming, of course, that I have the right to vote in the UK. I don't? That's no good. Perhaps The States should break away from Mother England. We did? Fantastic.)

UPDATE: A little research has revealed that David Cameron did NOT say, "hug a hoodie." The Labor party used the term to describe a Cameron speech. So that's a little cheap. I'm definitely voting Conservative in the next election. Wait, I can't vote in the UK? That's no good...

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 12:29 pm, Blogger thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

Looks like sometimes the hoodies are doing their best to deal with us.

Adorable photos, as always.

 
At 7:13 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your two little hoodies are so much cuter than the ones we actually have over here! I do love your take on British politics, keep it coming!

I'm quite impressed with how the Conservatives have changed over the last five years or so. The only thing that concerned me slightly was hearing Michael Howard, their then leader, announcing his trip to the States where he and the others would be meeting with high-profile Republicans because they were the sister party of the Conservatives. Hmmm...

 
At 6:23 am, Blogger Birchsprite said...

I wish you could vote over here! It would be funny!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner