--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

INTO THE DIGITAL DARKNESS

For some time, my laptop computer has served as something of a public Internet kiosk. Due to that, and some seriously outdated virus protection software, my computer has come down with a cold. So today I dropped it off at the local computer repair place. Most days, you can drop it off in the morning and you can pick it up when you're done with work.

But it's not going to work out that way this time around. After whisking my laptop off into the nether-world behind the service window, I was informed that they were backed up 3-5 days. This is no good. I've become quite dependent on my digital umbilical cord. Now I have to go without it for up to a week. I depend on it for the bulk of my interpersonal communication, for news of the outside world, and for my beloved podcasts. But now it's all gone... for a while anyway.

In terms of this blog, this news means there will likely be less frequent updates this week. I've got Internet access at work, but I really don't have time to write blog posts while I'm there. While I'm gone, however, I'll keep a journal of my cold-turkey computer comedown. I don't know what I'll write it on. Pen and paper? That seems unlikely. And how will I distribute it? In pamphlet form? Perhaps.

If the pamphlet thing doesn't work, then I guess you'll just have to wait until my computer returns to see how it went. And when that happens, I promise I'll post another set of baby pictures. Until then, pray for my little laptop. He's only 4 years old. Much too young to die.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner