--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, September 11, 2006

9/11

It’s late at night and I’m up watching the CBS 9/11 documentary on TiVo.

I should start by saying that I’m proud that CBS and the affiliate I work for chose to air the film in its unedited form. I know there was a lot of pressure brought by certain groups not to air it. Airing it was the right thing to do.

But just because it’s the right thing to air, that doesn’t mean it’s easy to watch. As the horrific scenes of that day pass across my TV, I’m shocked by how raw my emotions are about that day, how close to the surface they still are, how little real healing there has been over the past 5 years.

I was in Prague on September 11th, 2001. Julie and I were on our honeymoon. We were shopping for some overpriced glass object when we heard someone speaking in broken English about the plane that knocked over the world trade towers. I actually chuckled to myself, thinking her English must not bee too good, “If she only knew what she just said.”

But we went outside and saw some people huddled around a tobacco shop listening very intently to a radio. That didn’t draw much of our attention, but we did hear President Bush say, “Today we have suffered a great national tragedy.” The term “great national tragedy” gets thrown around quite a bit, but we thought we’d go to an internet café later that night and investigate.

A few hours later, we clicked on a news site. Each paragraph was less believable than the one before it.

Julie asked, “Did you find out what this tragedy is?”

“Yes."

"What does it say?"

"It says a plane hit the Trade Towers in New York.”

“What?”

“It says a second plane hit another tower.”

“What kind of plane?”

“I don’t know… the towers collapsed.”

“What?”

“They’re gone. We were just there last week… It says a third plane hit the Pentagon.”

“What?”

“That’s what it says… a fourth plane… it crashed in Pennsylvania.”

“What?”

“That’s what it says… they shut down all air traffic in the US.”

“How do we get home?”

“I don’t know.”

We went back to our hotel and found the staff had placed a TV in our room so we could watch the coverage. Julie went to sleep after a few hours, but I stayed up most of the night watching CNN International and worrying that we were 7,000 miles from home on the first day of World War III.

About a week later, we landed back at LAX. There were National Guard soldiers in the terminals holding machine guns. Large tanks were stationed at the entrances to the airport, blocking all traffic except parking shuttles. Cars were covered with small American flags. We had been gone for two weeks, but we returned to a completely different country.

Most things in the US have gotten back to normal since 9/11, but watching this documentary tonight, I realize that I still hate the people who did this to our country. I hate the people who took the lives of innocent thousands. And I hate what their actions have unleashed in this country since that day. Terrorism is based on hate, and I know that hating these people merely plays into their hands. But I still hate them. I wish I was bigger than that. I’m not.

And every time I take off my shoes in an airport, I get a little angry again, remembering what we’ve lost. It’s not the convenience I miss, it’s the innocence. It’s that feeling that, even though I’m only in my 30s, perhaps my best days are already behind me. Perhaps history has already passed me by, and I’m already a grumpy old man, living in the past and grumbling about how things were so much better before the world changed.

Before the documentary ends, I’m interrupted by crying in the other room. It’s Nate. He’s hungry. I heat up a bottle for him and hold him in my arms as he sucks down some milk and drifts back to sleep. And as I look at him, I can only hope and pray that he can tolerate the fatally flawed world we've brought him into.

I hold him a little closer. He’s asleep now, and I can put him back in his bed. But I still want to hold him. On a dark day like this one, sometimes you just need to be with the people you love.

4 Comments:

At 9:07 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Firstly I want to say that my sympathies go out to all those affected by 9/11.

But I also want to say that I grew up in Northern Ireland during the “troubles”. I was surrounded by terrorism every day of my childhood. I lived under the threat of bombs and shootings. I was surrounded by soldiers with machine guns in everyday life. Our local news was littered with the deaths of innocents and the not so innocents. Our airports have always had the level of security that you describe. As a child I had to run to escape a bomb, as a teenager I saw a man being shot outside a Belfast shopping centre. Countless others witnessed and were part of even more Horror.

Terrorism is not new.

It has grown in scale. It affects more people and has grown in complexity. It is and always has been an evil thing.

But, it will never change if we continue to hate. It is impossible to fight terrorism with fear and war. That only creates more terrorists. I think (and it is only my opinion) that the only way to combat terror is with love and understanding. We have to learn what it is that would make someone commit such an atrocity. We have to understand the reasons. We have to learn how to put such Horror behind us and move on. We have to honour those people who have been hurt or killed but without honouring the hate.

Innocence does not last for ever, neither should complacency. We are all part of this world and it is up to us to make it a peaceful place.

Northern Ireland is small in scale in comparison to the new terror. But I think it would be a sad thing if the lessons that were learned there, were not passed on now, to the rest of the world. Northern Ireland’s “troubles” are not over. We have not figured out the secret yet. But the whole world needs to start working towards it. And in my humble opinion hate will never be the answer.

 
At 9:46 pm, Blogger Workman said...

I tried posting a reply to your site, but something isn't working with your comments section, but here it is on my site instead...

Regarding your comments, I agree.

Perhaps posts like mine are a symptom of my nation's immaturity when dealing with terrorism. (Perhaps it's only a symptom of my immaturity)

But regardless of the cause, there is much to be gained from studying the experiences of those who have had to deal with this problem for many decades longer than we have.

And you're right, hate will only beget more hate. I'm trying to contain mine, control it, and try to turn it into something more positive. It's hard, though, when someone or something you love it attacked. Very hard.

Great post. Well written. Well reasoned. I only wish that all of America (or at least the president's cabinet) could sit down for lunch with you.

 
At 2:23 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the problem is that I upgraded my Blogger account to Beta and now other Blogger people who haven't upgraded can't comment! Or something like that anyway.

To be honest, I have had my whole life to think about terrorism and its effects on life. America has only realised its own susceptibility in the last 5 years. But I guess that given the amount of influence and the amount of power that America has, it really has got to catch up pretty quickly or the results could be catastrophic.

In terms of your own personal response, everyone reacts differently and I think you are more than halfway there if you recognise that hate is not the answer. It is hard. But it's not impossible.

I don't know if you have heard of Gordon Wilson. His daughter was killed in a bomb blast in Enniskillen in Northern Ireland. Have a look at these links http://www.soetrust.co.uk/overview/gordonwilson.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Wilson_(peace_campaigner)
This was a truly great man and someone who gave me great inspiration as a teenager growing up in Northern Ireland.

I think that we should all aspire to have as much forgiveness in our hearts as he did.

 
At 3:29 pm, Blogger thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

Very well said. I feel much the same, I suppose. A disgust for the people who did this.

A disgust for what has happened in our country since.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner