--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

HOUND DOG... SAY NO MORE

I know that the only reason why anyone visits this space anymore is to see baby pictures, and I will deliver some in the near future. But tonight, something completely different.

It has come to my attention that the late Elvis Presley was a huge Monty Python fan. This fact is quite puzzling to me, as I thought The King and I had absolutely nothing in common. It's not unreasonable for me to think that. After all, he became one of the biggest music stars of all time, then became a bloated drug-addled caricature of himself. And me... I drive a 12 year-old Toyota Camry. But I'm getting off track.

Julie read something in the New Yorker that said Elvis's favorite Python sketch was "Nudge Nudge," and throughout he miracle of copyright violation, I can show it to you right now. Click on the image, watch the video (about 2 minutes) then come on back.

The article Julie read said that Elvis would actually quote this sketch while giving people tours of Graceland.

The image of Elvis reading lines from "Nudge Nudge" with his southern accent, perhaps while wearing a cape, is something so absurd that I'm not even sure Python could have dreamed it up. But is such a wonderful image, that I'm almost obsessed with it. I've taken to calling my friends up and affecting an Elvis accent and saying things like "Hey wow, I can't believe I'm a carnival roustabout, know what I mean? Nudge nudge. A carney, know what I mean? Say no more."

No matter what horrible things I see and hear, quoting Python with an Elvis accent can almost always bring a smile to my face. So the next time you're feeling blue, just turn your head to the side, curl your lip, and ask a stranger, "Hey, is your wife into photography?" It will change your life, I promise you.

5 Comments:

At 4:29 am, Blogger Birchsprite said...

brilliant..... you've made my day!

 
At 5:39 am, Blogger caramaena said...

I didn't know Elvis was into Monty Python either. A very funny mental image that.

One of the guys at work, as well as myself, is a huge Python fan. Mention anything Python and he'll start quoting his favourites.

My favourite is the Spanish Inquisition sketch (Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.... heh, I'll stop there I think).

 
At 10:27 am, Blogger thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

This is wonderful news!

Now all of those people who've grown tired of hearing me quote Monty Python will get to grow tired of me quoting Monty Python with an Elvis accent!

I can't wait to curl my lip on the "Say No More!"

 
At 8:07 pm, Blogger Darrell said...

They're not the only reason we read the blog...Your humor has changed now that you're no longer miserable, but you're still funny.

-Darrell

 
At 3:57 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was an unexpected snippet - rather like the Spanish Inquisition!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner