--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, May 29, 2008

MAKING THE MAGIC HAPPEN

Several months ago, I posted about Elna Baker, the performer and author of the soon-to-be-published memoir "The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance." I had heard a piece of hers on "This American Life" and thought it was amazing.

So I wrote a little post on her and it is now the most popular search term that leads to this site (even more than Thomas Storesund). I was amazed to find an example of someone who is both Mormon and funny and wholesome and even a bit edgy. There's not a lot of that going on.

In keeping with my role as a taste maker, some friends of mine read the post and decided to convince Ms. Baker (based in NYC) to perform a show in LA. Tonight, that show happened. Of course, I wasn't there. A plane ticket from here to LA currently runs somewhere in the neighborhood of $600. I'm not made of money, you now.

But by all accounts, the show was a big success. I'm told there were some agents and casting types in the audience. It's obvious the woman is heading places, so allow me to take credit for the success of the show and any future successes Ms. Baker may have in the future.

You're welcome.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 6:14 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a great show! Let me tell you! She has an undeniably awesome talent at what she does.

Nafnlaus

 
At 12:16 pm, Blogger thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

You mind working a little of that magic for me? I'd love a publishing contract. But, man, I'm neither funny nor edgy nor Mormon so I realize my chances are slim. But at least my mom thinks I'm wholesome — that's got to open some doors.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner