--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, November 07, 2008

FAROE FRIDAY: ON THE AIR, WITH ME!

This week's Faroe Friday features... me! That's right, I'm the subject of this week's Faroe Friday. Why, you ask? Because I made my Faroese broadcast debut last Tuesday.

It stems back to an Internet friendship I have with Faroe Man. He's got a Facebook (does anyone know if you're supposed to capitalize "facebook"?) friend who is a journalist with Faroese National Radio (pictured above) and who was in the US covering the election. They wanted to call people across the country and talk to them about the election. Because of this tangled web of friendships, I was one of the people who got the call.

At about 2:00 Tuesday afternoon, I got a phone call from a lawyer turned broadcaster named Elin (pictured above). She asked me several questions about the election and the mood in our little corner of America. Then, she called again 30 minutes later, and that conversation was broadcast live on Faroese National Radio.

And when I got off the phone, I realized something: I'm a foreign correspondent now! Kind of. I've spent my whole journalism career secretly pining for a foreign correspondent gig without ever realizing that my current location was perfectly foreign to somebody else.

It also got me thinking about the power of the Internet. About 18 months ago, I didn't know the Faroe Islands existed. Once I stumbled upon them, I decided to devote a post per week to sharing something about the islands and trying to connect with the people who live there. Now I'm talking to the Faroese over the radio. I'd be lying if I didn't say I think that's just about the coolest thing ever.

This week's Faroe photo comes from Arne List, he also provided the picture of the Faroese broadcast center at the top of this post. It's of the waterfront in Torshavn. Just out of frame to the left is the home of Radio 2. I wasn't on the air at Radio 2, but they've got a great view from their studio. The blue building is the home of Samvit, which is a combination of the Faroe Islands Tourism Board and their business development organization. I know some people who work there now. They're good people.

And as for the people at Faroese National Radio, feel free to call me anytime.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 2:57 am, Blogger Faroe-Man said...

Reading this made me smile... and realize that it's a damn shame, that all this effort by one person (you), and you haven't even had the chance to visit our islands yet.

I think one of the theme-songs, which Barack Obama used in his campaign, had the words "A change is gonna come...".

 
At 10:41 am, Blogger The Morgan Family said...

so... when are we going to hear the interview???

 
At 11:11 am, Blogger Ellen said...

very cool. its amazing what can be accomplished when you suddenly decide to focus on something. maybe next time they'll fly you out for an in-studio interview.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner