--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, February 27, 2009

FAROE FRIDAY: G! IS BACK

In the very first post I wrote about the Faroe Islands almost two years ago, I mentioned that the Faroes had its own music festival called the G! Festival and remarked that I hoped to attend some time in the future. Last year those hopes seemed permanently dashed when the company that puts the festival on went bankrupt. But, like a phoenix from the ashes, the G! Festival is back.

The festival has started announcing musical acts for the three day event, and it's quite an eclectic bill. Faroese favorites Boys in a Band will be returning to the festival stage, and they'll be joined by acts playing heavy metal, electronic, folk, and pop music. The festival has even booked a polka band.

I actually spoke to the G! Festival's organizer this week and he said they don't care about genre or style. If they like a band, they'll book them. (Plug: you can hear the interview on episode 5 of the Faroe Islands Podcast, which should be released in a few days.)

I've been to several music festivals in my life, but I've never seen one in so spectacular a setting (see photo above). I'm happy G! is back. Helps keep the dream alive that I will one day stand in that place listening to great music as the sun (sort of) sets over the fjord.

The G! Festival runs from July 23rd to the 25th.

This week's Faroe photo is of Trøllkonufingur, or "witch's finger." It's was taken by Faroe Man and is part of a photo set that can be found at the home page for the Faroe Islands Podcast. Enjoy.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner