--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, November 04, 2009

OFF TO SEE THE WIZARD

Today is a special day. Today I get to see one of my idols. John Cleese is appearing in Eugene, and I’m going. Not only that, I’ve got a front row seat.

Needless to say, I’ve spent the past week in Depends, because I’ve been peeing myself with excitement. I’ve got almost every episode of Monty Python’s Flying Circus committed to memory, and I’m a huge fan of the thesaurus-intensive skits Cleese wrote with Graham Chapman.

I’m actually not sure what this performance will entail, but I’m told it’s pretty funny. After a one hour performance, there will be a 45 minute question and answer session. And this is what has me nervous. I’m right in the front row, so chances are good I’ll be able to ask a question if I want to. And I don’t know what to ask.

For periods of my life, I’ve made a living out of asking people questions, but what to ask your comedy idol? I thought of simply asking, “May I please have a hug?” But that seems like it may get me undue attention from security. I’ve also considered asking him about writing with Graham Chapman. But it seems a little rude to see someone perform and then ask about his deceased writing partner.

I have been known to choke before. I had a chance to ask Dave Barry a question in 1991, and all I really did was stutter and mention that my hometown newspaper was one of the first to carry his syndicated column.

So now I’ve got a 2 ½ hour drive up to Eugene to think of a question. Wish me luck.

1 Comments:

At 12:35 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope that you overcome your unaccustomed shyness and "Do the right thing" with hard hitting, incisive Python questions. I'm certain you can squeeze the truth out.

I'm glad you have resumed regular postings.

Starr

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner