--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

TICK, TICK, TICK...



Just after September 11th, a photo surfaced, purporting to be a tourist standing on the observation deck of the World Trade Center seconds before impact with a 757.

The photo was a hoax, and the story of it can be found at the Urban Legends Reference Pages. The Snopes article spoke of the photo striking a chord with a nation still shell shocked over the 9/11 attacks. The picture seemed to capture the last split second before our nation, and our lives, changed forever.

So here I sit tonight, counting down the hours before parenthood. About 9 hours, I think. And I gotta say, I feel sort of like I’m the guy in that photo, just split seconds away from an impact that will destroy life as I know it.

Now, I’m told that the Miracle Of Birth™ is not a soul crushing tragedy, but a joyous, uh, whatever that’s really… something. My brain has not been working well lately, so please pardon me if I’m not all that articulate tonight.

The point is that parenthood is supposed to me much less awful that the 9/11 attacks, and I’m inclined to believe that. I’m drawn again to the comments a friend made a few months ago, something about destruction and a Phoenix rising and… I can’t really remember right now. I can’t think of anything.

Did I mention we have to be at the hospital at 5:30 tomorrow morning?

So in the tradition of the above photo, allow me to submit another picture of a guy who has no idea what is about to hit him.

I’ll let you know how it turns out.

3 Comments:

At 11:09 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Luck Matt. I'll be thinking of you...as I am on the golf course. Oh wow, Matthew you are a wise man, leisure time is wonderful..

So sorry about the loss of yours.

In all seriousness, good luck with everything and pass along our best wishes to Julie as well.

 
At 8:36 am, Blogger Darrell said...

Whar be the babies? Is everything okay?

 
At 12:32 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We can't wait...this is gonna be good!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner