--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, September 14, 2006

BIGTIME BOOGERS

As many of you may know, I’m a longtime fan of Dave Barry, so you can imagine my excitement when I got to cover my first ever booger-related story today.

It involves a booger being a key piece of evidence that cracked a bank robbery case. Despite the fact that it is one of the sillier pieces I’ve done and that it contains the word “booger” no fewer than three times (twice uttered by a police chief), it was sent out over the national satellite feed. That means local stations can use it if they see fit. So if you were watching a CBS affiliate today or yesterday and saw a story about a crime fighting booger, you know where it came from.

I’ve gone national with a booger story. I’ve hit the bigtime. Sometimes the best stories are right under your nose.

(In unrelated news, Dave Barry’s blog today features a story about pigeons dropping dead in Texarkana. When I lived in Texarkana, I wished I could do the same thing, too.)

3 Comments:

At 9:52 pm, Blogger Ellen said...

Congrats on making the feed! Too bad I work for an NBC affiliate. I would've loved to have seen your booger story!

 
At 8:51 am, Blogger Darrell said...

Can you say "booger" on TV? There was an entire epsiode of "WKRP in Cincinnati" built around the debate over whether you could say "booger" on radio.
I've never written "booger" before, and I'm taking your word that that's how it's spelled.
Really, now. You've said "booger," and have had it syndicated nationally. What's next? A story about how a kindapper was discovered because of the odor of his farts? Can you say "fart" on TV?
What's the difference between a fart and a burp, anyway aside from the obvious orifice distinction?
I think an investigative piece is in order.
By the way, your sons surely are cute little boogers.

 
At 1:23 pm, Blogger Darrell said...

ASHLAND, Ore. - A booger led police to a serial bank robber.

When the Rogue Federal Credit Union was robbed in March, investigators collected many pieces of evidence, including surveillance photos. But other clues were left behind, too.

"Basically a booger that was left on the counter in front of the teller where he had robbed the person from," an investigator said.

Police collected the mucus sample as DNA evidence.

Two months later, Joseph Seitzinger was arrested for a series of bank robberies in Bend, Ore. Police collected a DNA sample from Seitzinger.

"And we sent it off to the crime lab and it came back as this gentleman's booger."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner