--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

MY LONELY STATE

They’re writing songs of love, but not for me. Indeed, I am a voter, its Super Tuesday, and nobody cares. Why? I live in Oregon.

It seems I will always be cursed to live in politically insignificant states, at least during the primary season. I spent most of my life living in either New York or California, two states political candidates use as ATMs. Presidential candidates traditionally never campaign in either of these states during the primaries because the voting takes place too late in the process to matter.

But there’s nothing traditional about this year’s presidential campaign. Everyone moved their primaries up to February 5th, even New York and California. But now I’m in Oregon, and we like bucking national trends here. So when do we get to vote? May 20th. That’s right, we have to wait another 3 ½ months before we have a say in who gets the presidential nomination. May 20th. Guam gets to vote before we do!

In this most exciting presidential election in just about anyone’s memory, we have to sit on the sidelines while everyone else has all the fun. No candidates come to visit, no ads, no nothing.

So as you watch the election results roll in Tuesday night, just think of us poor souls in Oregon, who have to let the bozos in all those other states chose our political candidates for us. Choose well, please.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 7:49 pm, Blogger Adrian said...

Poor you. I live in Iowa and get the thrill of watching to see if the candidate that I caucused for can make good tonight...it's almost like Christmas Eve, I can't wait to find out tomorrow morning! Like you, I say to all the voters, choose well. And don't choose Hillary.

 
At 7:03 am, Blogger thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

Oh, but it looks like they will be coming to you after all, with no clear Democrat winner and even the Republican race not yet a sure thing. Looks like this primary campaign trail will be much longer than anyone expected. So your vote just might count after all!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner