--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, June 22, 2009

FAROE FRIDAY: EIVOR, COMING TO (NORTH) AMERICA

(Yes, I know. I know it's not Friday)

Since I started writing about the Faroe Islands here, I've written a lot about music, but very little about Eivor (the "o" has a slash through it, but I can't figure out how to do that on this keyboard). This is a huge oversight that needs to be remedied with a much more extensive post one day.

But in short, Eivor is a 25 year old Faroese singer who is perhaps the most critically acclaimed artist from the islands. She has sung in rock bands, and with symphony orchestras. Many critics claim her singing embodies the Faroese spirit. Others have compared her to Bjork.

While she's a fixture in the Icelandic music scene and has toured extensively in Europe, she's not been seen much on the Pacific coast... until now. Eivor will be playing two music festivals in British Columbia in about a month. She'll play during the Mission Folk Festival on July 25th and 26th, and then at the Canmore Folk Festival on August 1st and 2nd.

While I'm excited she'll be performing in my neck of the woods, there is some irony regarding the timing of these two shows (ironic for me, not for her). While she's performing at the Mission Folk Festival, I'll be at the G! Festival... in the Faroe Islands. She performs at Canmore on August 1-2. On August, 3rd, I'll return to the Pacific Northwest.

Oh well. We may be ships that pass in the night this time, perhaps our paths will cross some other time.
This week's Faroe Photo is of the beach at Gota. I know Eivor lives near the beach, and the G! Fesatival takes place somewhere near here as well.

(29 days until I leave for the Faroes! Not that I'm counting.)

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 12:01 pm, Blogger Russell Fielding said...

Hi Workman,
I heard about your blog from a friend up in Prince Edward Island who knows about my own interest in the Faroes. I have been doing my Ph.D. research there since 2005. There didn't seem to be a way to contact you directly through the blog, but if you like, send me an email at rfield2@lsu.edu. I'd be happy to chat about the Faroes with you before your trip.

Russell

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner