--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, December 23, 2007

DON'T CROSS ME

I used to see this in the south and figured it was something peculiar to the Confederacy, but I've noticed it in Oregon, too. I'm speaking of Christmas displays featuring crosses. Observe the following image...This photo is not from anywhere in Oregon, but rather snatched from this guy's Flickr photo stream. But it is not unlike many displays I've seen here.

For the past several years, there has been brouhaha over an alleged War on Christmas™. The Christmas warriors claim excessive political correctness has robbed Christmas of its Christian roots and has turned it into an essentially secular holiday. I wonder if the pagans had similar campaigns when all their symbols were being appropriated for that new upstart Christian holiday called "Christmas." But I digress.

To counter the war on Christmas, the logic goes, one should incorporate more Christian symbols into the celebration. But exactly what Christian symbols should be used? A manger scene? (Classic, unambiguous, features the Birthday Boy himself.) An angel? (Aesthetically pleasing, heavenly messenger.) A star in the sky signaling the birth of Jesus? (Simple, symbol of hope.) Nope, it seems the cross has fallen into fashion.

This seems a curious choice. While all the other symbols are directly connected to the birth of Jesus the cross is a symbol of his death. It seems a bit premature, if you ask me. I mean, we're celebrating the guy's birthday. Don't fast forward to the end of the story, let's enjoy this part first.

Alas, the cross hanging over the manger scene is apparently becoming a more common sight. Perhaps this means we'll see more manger scenes on Easter.

2 Comments:

At 12:03 pm, Blogger Ogie said...

Gleðilig Jól og Gott Nýggjár

 
At 2:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting thoughts there! I hope that you and the family enjoyed a wonderful Christmas together. I think I prefer stars at Christmas - you're right, the cross is skipping to the end of the story!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner