--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, June 08, 2007

LOSING FAITH IN MITT

While I hardly consider myself a Republican, I’ve spent the last few months rooting for Mitt Romney as he runs for president.

The first reason is perhaps the dumbest: he’s Mormon. You see, I’m Mormon, too, and it’s every minority or sub-group’s dream to put one of their own in the White House. Think of how excited the Greeks got when Dukakis was running 20 years ago. (Someone had to be excited about that, right?)

This instinct has its limits, however. I’m not so Mormon that I could bring myself to support Orrin Hatch during his no-hope presidential bid in 2000. Nor do I believe that Mormons are inherently good at running things. The state of Utah has been run by Mormons for 150 years, and its government spends most of its time trying to figure out if Satan loves illegal immigrants.

But Mitt does have a lot going for him. He was a successful businessman. He turned the Salt Lake City Olympics from a scandal-ridden joke to a successful and profitable event. He got elected governor in a Democratic state and actually enacted a universal health coverage plan. That’s not a bad resume, really. (Although not as good as Bill Richardson’s.)

And, yes, Mitt does have presidential hair.

But Mitt does have a few things going against him. First, he’s changed some crucial opinions a few times in his political career. As a result, conservatives think he’s a moderate dressing up as a right winger, and moderates think he’s a right winger pretending to be centrist. Not a good place to be.

But he’s got another big liability: he’s Mormon. Before the campaign, I naively thought this wouldn’t be much of an issue, but I’m clearly wrong.

Mormons haven’t always had the easiest time in America. For several decades, they were driven from city to city by angry mobs. It was actually legal to kill Mormons in the state of Missouri until 1976. In the 1970s, my dad was on an airplane when a woman discovered he was Mormon. She asked to see his horns.

But that’s ancient history, right? Nope. While I can honestly say that I’ve never experienced any discrimination because of my religion (except for that one time when my Jewish friend wouldn’t set me up with any of her friends because of my chaste lifestyle) there is apparently more than a little hostility to Mormons out there. Over the past few months the press has been filled with hateful and distorted information about Mormons coming from both the left and the right. I’m not going to bother linking to any of it, but when both Christopher Hitchens and Al Sharpton are ganging up on you, it’s not good news.

Mitt’s stiffest challenge may be in the south, where more than a few people labor under the misapprehension that Mormons eat their babies in secret temple rituals. Even in the nation as a whole, around 30 percent of people say they wouldn’t vote for a Mormon under any circumstance.

It’s a little disheartening, really. I thought we had gotten past all this nonsense when JFK got elected 47 years ago. “A Catholic in the White House!? So now the Pope gets to run our country?” Yet many people who would find the previous statement offensive or absurd have no problem openly admitting they wouldn’t vote for someone strictly because of their religion.

Of course, they shouldn’t vote for Mitt. Nobody should, in my opinion. I came to that sad conclusion after the May 15th Republican debate on Fox News. In that debate, Mitt said the US should double the size of our prison in Guantanamo. He also supports “enhanced interrogation” which is the new code word for “torture.” You can see his full comments here… (Mitt's campaign actually posted this on YouTube)

For a man as smart and savvy as Mitt not to understand that GITMO detentions undermine all that we stand for as a nation is simply unacceptable. He’ll say that the War on Terror ™ is a fight for our way of life. But if we destroy our way of life in the process, when what are we really fighting for? If he can't understand that, then he's really not fit to be president.

Oh Mitt, I once had such high hopes for you. The dream of a Mormon president will have to wait for another time, and for a more attractive candidate. President Donny Osmond, anyone?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 7:52 am, Blogger thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

I hate to say it, but my top priority in a candidate is someone who'll make ending the war a priority — without sacrificing our nation's defense, of course.

Doesn't sound like Romney is the one for me.

It does bother me that so many people are vehemently anti-Romney simply because of his religion, though. I heard some footage of Romney out stumping when an older gentleman told Mitt that, in no uncertain terms, he would never vote for a Mormon. Mitt said "well, if I can't have your vote, can I at least shake your hand?"

The man refused.

 
At 10:17 am, Blogger Workman said...

I read that story, too, and it's just the kind of thing I'm talking about.

There are actually christians who will label members of another denomination of christianity less-than-human over some very minor details in scriptural interpretation.

These are likely the same people who can't understand why the Sunni and Shiah want to blow each other up. They're all Muslums, right? Wny can't they just work it out?

 
At 2:39 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post matt.

I remind people at church that Mitt can never win, I don't think the conservative christian element in the republican party could allow it. It has forced Mitt to waffle on a few issues, as he tries to figure out where to stand.

i then tell people he should have run as a democrat since the dems are not has set in their social politics.

Which way LA ran a mormon for president story last week...

 
At 9:43 pm, Blogger patatomic said...

Three things:

1) I like Bill Richardson so far.

2) Kinda funny and ironic how people haven't been playing that whole "you are a puppet for your church" angle with Harry Reid.

3) I don't really much care for the Mitt, however I do respect how he has answered questions about his religious beliefs, "Yes we do believe in some odd things. You see we believe that there was this guy named Noah..." (I cannot confirm if he really answered a question this way as it was told to me second hand by a friend. If he did then kudos! Spot on Mitt. Spot on.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner