--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, November 02, 2007

FAROE FRIDAY: INTRODUCING JENNY

I like to think of myself as the fountain of all Faroese knowledge, but this is an utter lie. I've never been to the country and have only been reading about it for couple of months. So I am forced to admit there are several sources out there much more worthwhile than me.

This week, we'll introduce you to one such fine source. Her name is Jennifer Henke and she splits her time between the San Francisco Bay area and Fuglafjørður, a village of about 1,500 people on the island of Eysturoy. The photo you see above was taken by Ms. Henke (her friends call her Jenny) near her Faroese home.

I'm still reading through the story, but Jenny is an American who has relatives in Fuglafjørður and decided to spend a year there after she retired (please correct me if I'm wrong). That was in July of 2005, and she's back there now. I haven't gotten up to the part where she explains why she's back and how long she'll be there.

But the point is she writes about it all on her blog, Jenny's Year Abroad. It's a great first person look at the Faroe Islands from an American's perspective. The fun stuff is in the little details of life she writes about, walking to the post office, visiting the grocery store, trying to learn the language. Its mostly stories about real life. The kind of stuff the guide books don't write about.

And, as you can see, she's a fine photographer as well.

So please check out her site early and often. I know I do. I'll put a link on my sidebar under "Faroe Islands Resources."

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 2:12 pm, Blogger Ogie said...

Yes she has a great site. I have been reading it for awhile now. The pictures are great and her day to day description of the Faroe Islands is wonderful to read. I have emailed her a few times too because we have similar backgrounds. We are both half Faroese and 1st generation. Her father immigrated here to the US and my mother immigrated here. It is one of the things I would love to do when I retire is to spend a lot of time in the Faroe Islands.

 
At 5:38 pm, Blogger Faroe-Man said...

I'm always fascinated by how others see the Faroe Islands. Jenny's site is a gem.

Will i see Ogie and Workman in the Faroe Islands sometimes next summer?

 
At 6:37 pm, Blogger Ogie said...

I would love to, I am just not sure if I can make it this next summer. I do know that my brother is planning a trip next. The time depends on whether he wants to be there for the whale hunt or puffins. I believe he wants to go during the puffin season.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner